August Art Month at Welgemeend celebrates the geography, essence and history of the Western Cape
18 Jul 2023
The 2023 edition of August Art Month at Welgemeend promises to deliver on its status as the premier art event in Cape Town’s winter culture calendar.
A collaboration between art collectors and philanthropists Frank and Lizelle Kilbourn, the volunteer group Friends of Welgemeend, auction house Strauss & Co and premium winemaker Delaire Graff Estate, this year’s tenth edition of August Art Month at Welgemeend (2 – 31 August 2023) takes as its theme the geography, essential characteristics and history of the Western Cape.
Anchored by an exhibition of paintings and sculptures, Cape Moments/ Kaapse Oomblikke will feature a wide-ranging selection of historical and contemporary art about the Cape that has been acquired over many years by the Kilbourn family and invited co-collectors. As is tradition, the extensive social, educational and hospitality programme for 2023 August Art Month at Welgemeend will reflect the themes of this art exhibition.
“Twenty-one years ago, Lizelle and I relocated with our children from Johannesburg to Cape Town,” says Frank Kilbourn, businessman and chairperson of Strauss & Co. “Cape Town is much smaller and more intimate than Johannesburg and our relationships with several dealers, gallerists and auction houses allowed us to be exposed to, meet and befriend an exciting variety of Cape-based artists. This certainly expanded our collection and deepened the joy we derive from it. We are proud to have been involved with our partners, The Friends of Welgemeend, Strauss & Co and Delaire Graff, in preserving Welgemeend and bringing art to our community.”
Frank Kilbourn, who is curating the exhibition together with Strauss & Co’s head curator Wilhelm van Rensburg, adds: “For the tenth edition of August Art Month at Welgemeend, we thought it would be rewarding to look specifically at the many and diverse portrayals of life and the landscape of the Cape by artists we collect. It is always a joy to hang these exhibitions at Welgemeend, and this year we hope to once again surprise visitors with a selection of artworks that encompass both the natural beauty of the region and important social events particular to this part of South Africa.”
The artist line up is thoroughly diverse and ranges from celebrated Cape landscape painters like Gregoire Boonzaier, Gwelo Goodman, J. E. A. Volschenk, Hugo Naude’ and Erik Laubscher to documentary photographers David Goldblatt, George Hallett and Jürgen Schadeberg. The exhibition will include a focus on Simon’s Town-born painter and graphic artist Peter Clarke, whose socially minded work lovingly focussed on life in the Cape Peninsula. Nic Bladen’s life-size bronze studies of petite Cape flora contrast with painter Matthew Hindley’s larger-scale studies of fires on Table Mountain.
“I am particularly fond of the heritage and educational aspect of August Art Month at Welgemeend,” says Lizelle Kilbourn, lawyer and writer. “This project, which is about fostering art and community, takes place in a landmark space that is 330 years old. Welgemeend houses and displays earlier 20th-century masterpieces formerly owned by the much-loved Afrikaans poet and scholar Izak Wilhelmus “Boerneef” van der Merwe. It is important that we as South Africans are afforded opportunities to reflect on our cultural heritage and share the incredible art that has been created in our country.”
“Cultivating an appreciation for art and enriching the experience of it for those already on their journey as collectors is central to our function as South Africa’s premier auction house,” says Bina Genovese, Managing Executive, Strauss & Co. “August Art Month at Welgemeend has established itself as a wonderful platform allowing private collectors to show their work to an art-interested public. We are proud to support this superb annual initiative, which is an important passion project for us.”
The busy programme for 2023 August Art Month at Welgemeend commences with a ticketed opening gala dinner and fundraising auction (R1300 p/p) catered by Jacques Erasmus, owner of renowned Cape Town restaurant Hemelhuijs. Frank Kilbourn will offer four public walkabouts of Cape Moments/ Kaapse Oomblikke, on 5, 8, 11 and 18 August (R200 p/p). Virtuoso pianist Gerhard Joubert will perform a recital on 20 August (R300 p/p).
There will also be a number of public lectures by notable personalities, including art writer and critic Amanda Botha and Strauss & Co lead auctioneer Bina Genovese. Wilhelm van Rensburg, co-curator with Frank Kilbourn of Cape Moments/ Kaapse Oomblikke, will discuss the history of Cape arts on 12 August.
For a full programme of events, including dates, timings and costs, please consult either the Strauss & Co or Welgemeend Art websites. The net proceeds of all the events will be utilised for the continued preservation and renovation of Welgemeend.
About August Art Month: Established in 2014 by art collector Frank Kilbourn and auctioneer Stephan Welz, Strauss & Co’s founding director who passed away in 2015, the initiative aims to shore up support for Welgemeend, a historic home built on the slopes of Table Valley in 1693. Welgemeend was declared a national monument in 1944. It is owned and managed by Jan van Riebeeck Hoërskool, in collaboration with the Friends of Welgemeend. August Art Month is an important source of revenue for the maintenance and preservation of this landmark Cape property.
About Delaire Graff Estate: The Delaire Graff Estate in Stellenbosch was acquired in 2003 by Laurence Graff, Chairman, Graff Diamonds International, and opened to public in 2010 as a world-class destination for wine, art, cuisine, and an escape from the everyday. The estate produces supremely elegant vintages from Bordeaux reds and Chardonnay grapes grown in vineyards situated on the slopes of Botmaskop Mountain. The estate is also known for its large showcase of art from Laurence Graff’s personal art collection.
Current Press Releases
- 2 Nov 2023 Internationally acclaimed but irrefutably South African: Strauss & Co’s marquee summer auction features important works by Billie Zangewa and William Kentridge
- 3 Nov 2023 Strauss & Co Unveils Exclusive Online Sale of Chinese Decorative Arts Masterpieces
- 11 Nov 2023 William Kentridge’s Cat Steals the Show at Johannesburg Auction Week
- 15 Nov 2023 Strauss & Co Unveils Enchanting Online Watch and Jewellery Sales
- 23 Nov 2023 Strauss & Co’s penultimate online auction for 2023 features a focus on Line | Colour | Shape | Form
- 24 Nov 2023 CALLING FOR CONSIGNMENTS: Paintings by J.H. Pierneef and Cinga Samson headline second-instalment of Strauss & Co’s Africa-focused auction in February 2024
- 27 Nov 2023 Strauss & Co and The Nel Erasmus Art Legacy Trust Present Conflux: A Retrospective by South African Postwar Artist Nel Erasmus
- 2 Oct 2023 With a focus on Studies and Drawings, Strauss & Co’s October online auction appeals to established and first-time collectors
- 4 Oct 2023 Recently discovered Renoir painting headlines Strauss & Co’s dynamic programme for Toyota US Woordfees
- 9 Oct 2023 Toyota US Woordfees presents exciting Benefit auction featuring established and emerging artists
- 11 Oct 2023 Strauss & Co’s Johannesburg Auction Week celebrates a century of unbroken creativity and invention in African Art
- 19 Oct 2023 Showpiece Renoir leads Strauss & Co’s 111-lot sale of international modern and contemporary art
- 23 Oct 2023 Fresh-to-market paintings by Pierneef, Preller, Sekoto and Stern to be sold during Johannesburg Auction Week
- 27 Oct 2023 International buyers flock to Strauss & Co’s spotlight auction featuring Chagall, Miró and an undiscovered Renoir
- 31 Oct 2023 Moses Tladi and Gerard Sekoto, who opened museum doors for black artists, lead an impressive offering of black moderns at Johannesburg Auction Week
- 4 Sep 2023 Strauss & Co Presents a Captivating Auction: Modern and Contemporary Art with a focus on Renowned Artist Alice Goldin
- 7 Sep 2023 Works from important single-owner and contemporary art with museum pedigree lead Strauss & Co’s marquee spring sale
- 12 Sep 2023 Exquisite Selection of Bordeaux and Bordeaux-Style South African Wines to Go Under the Hammer at Strauss & Co
- 21 Sep 2023 Unseen Renoir from South African collection, recently authenticated in Paris, headlines Strauss & Co’s globe-spanning auction
- 21 Sep 2023 Scandinavian designers, French winemakers and a canonical South African painter charm buyers at Strauss & Co’s spring sales
- 8 Aug 2023 Strauss & Co’s August online sale covers half a century of South African ceramic art
- 18 Aug 2023 Rare collections of the World's leading wines to be sold as single bottles
- 28 Aug 2023 Highly important Zanzibar portrait by Irma Stern of praying man poised to go under the hammer at Strauss & Co
- 28 Aug 2023 Leading/Inspirational businesswomen, Khetiwe McClain and Jo-Ann Strauss, join Strauss & Co
- 3 Jul 2023 Strauss & Co’s upcoming timed online auction provides art collectors with a special focus on the Eastern Cape
- 14 Jul 2023 J. H. Pierneef: Close to Home traces a half-century of innovation and unbroken fascination with the South African landscape
- 14 Jul 2023 Jewels Online: LAUNCH EDITION - Classic emeralds to contemporary designs
- 18 Jul 2023 August Art Month at Welgemeend celebrates the geography, essence and history of the Western Cape
- 7 Jun 2023 Strauss & Co’s June Timed Online Auction Features Renowned Contemporary and Early 20th Century Artists
- 8 Jun 2023 Wines from Burgundy & Champagne
- 9 Jun 2023 Rare collections of the world’s leading wines to be sold, together with a uniquely minted NFT, by Strauss & Co.
- 21 Jun 2023 Strauss & Co honours sculptors past and present with a dedicated sale and exhibition
- 26 Jun 2023 Strauss & Co Celebrating Silver
- 3 May 2023 Strauss & Co confirms its rock-solid reputation with a catalogue of blue-chip works by South African modernists for its May auction
- 3 May 2023 Strauss & Co's May Timed Online Auction Celebrates Namibian Landscape Art
- 12 May 2023 Rare and Fine Wine from Italy and Spain going under the hammer
- 12 May 2023 From Azaria to Zerffi – an eclectic collection from an art connoisseur family
- 17 May 2023 Rare colour work by exiled south African artist Dumile Feni sells for new world record price at Strauss & Co sale in Johannesburg
- 5 Apr 2023 April Timed Online Auction with a focus on Portraits, Heads and Character Studies
- 6 Apr 2023 The 2023 Cassirer Welz Award Winner
- 20 Apr 2023 Important Black Modernist Artists Lead Strauss & Co May Auction In Johannesburg
- 2 Mar 2023 Strong results at Strauss & Co’s maiden auction of modern and contemporary art from Africa
- 6 Mar 2023 Strauss & Co’s upcoming March timed online auction celebrates colour and nuance
- 13 Mar 2023 Strauss & Co bring important works by Pierneef, Preller, Stern and Tretchikoff to market
- 23 Mar 2023 Strauss & Co’s strong catalogue of women artists tracks a history of innovation from Maggie Laubser and Irma Stern to Sethembile Msezane and Ruby Swinney
- 23 Mar 2023 Art Nouveau: The Birth of Modern Style with Guest Lecturer, Dr Gregorio Thaon di Revel Mazzonis di Pralafera
- 29 Mar 2023 Record price for Irma Stern at Strauss & Co sale affirms South Africa’s status as the best marketplace to trade artworks by premium South African modernists
- 2 Feb 2023 Important Announcements from Frank Kilbourn, Strauss & Co Executive Chairperson
- 6 Feb 2023 Strauss & Co kicks off 2023 with a revitalised programme of online auctions
- 14 Feb 2023 Celebrating Esias Bosch’s centenary
- 16 Feb 2023 Strauss & Co and SANAVA partner on charity auction to secure artists’ studios in Paris
- 16 Feb 2023 The 2023 Strauss & Co Fine Wine Rhône-themed auction is one of our finest line-ups yet, featuring iconic producers from France, South Africa and the New World.
- 23 Feb 2023 Chairperson’s Report
- 27 Feb 2023 Strauss & Co’s Curatorial Voices auction maps the story of art from Gerard Sekoto to Cinga Samson
- 27 Feb 2023 "Art is a human virtue and I have given my whole self to it, for it promotes understanding among races rather than destroys it."—Gerard Sekoto
- 1 Nov 2022 Irma Stern’s bold portrait of a modern woman presents an opportunity for collectors
- 2 Nov 2022 Strauss & Co presents the most prestigious fine wine collection ever to come to market in SA
- 11 Nov 2022 Strauss & Co’s final live sale of 2022 honours the legacy of art collector, Dr Matthys Johannes Strydom
- 11 Nov 2022 Broad interest in historical and contemporary art underpins Strauss & Co’s solid results
- 18 Nov 2022 Strauss & Co presents works owned by Matthys Strydom, art dealer and storyteller extraordinaire
- 24 Nov 2022 The pedigree of art dealer and collector Matthys Strydom’s collection sees collectors pay premium prices at Strauss & Co auction
- 24 Nov 2022 Strauss & Co’s upcoming November online-only auction offers art collectors a special focus on the Cape
- 25 Nov 2022 Twinkle-twinkle little star, how about some Christmas cheer from Strauss & Co?
- 30 Nov 2022 Norval Foundation Benefit Auction 2022
- 11 Oct 2022 Strauss & Co heralds summer with a curated programme of Johannesburg sales
- 13 Oct 2022 Strauss & Co to present the first-ever sale exclusively devoted to Robert Hodgins
- 27 Oct 2022 International report identifies Strauss & Co as dominant reseller of works by William Kentridge
- 27 Oct 2022 Strauss & Co’s sculpture-only sale explores the story of SA sculpture, from past to present