Strauss & Co Celebrating Silver
26 Jun 2023
Leading South African auction house, Strauss & Co, is delighted to present a selection of exquisite silverware in its upcoming June timed online auction.
“The sale, titled ‘Celebrating Silver,’ offers a diverse range of British and Continental pieces from renowned manufacturers in England, Scotland, France and Germany, in addition to notable examples of Spanish and Portuguese silver,” says Sorbonne-educated Olivia Barrell, the auction house’s silver specialist, who is spearheading the event.
“The timed-online sale, which will run from 21 June to 5 July, is a splendid showcase of English silver pieces spanning periods from Georgian, Edwardian, and Victorian eras to more contemporary works created during Queen Elizabeth II’s reign”, she adds.
Female silversmiths were relatively uncommon during the Georgian era so a duo of George II silver salvers (circa 1741) crafted by English female silversmith, Dorothy Mills, should attract the attention of discerning collectors, (estimates R 8 000 – 10 000.)
Another captivating item is a four-piece Elizabeth II silver tea service (circa 1964) crafted by Mappin & Webb Ltd. (estimates R 20 000 – 25 000). The tea service encompasses design elements of mid-century modern and Art Deco, epitomizing the hallmarks of Mappin & Webb’s artistry. Founded in
1775, the company held royal warrants from various members of the British royal family, including Queen Elizabeth II herself.
Barrell highlights the featured item on the catalogue cover, a 20th-century, five-piece Art Nouveau German silver tea service (estimates R 30 000 – 40 000) from the Vereinigte Silberwaren-Fabriken Bahner AG, Düsseldorf. Also known as Bahner, the German company produced some of Europe’s foremost silverware between 1901 and 1965. Bahner’s makers often embellished their wares with intricate detail, elegant shapes, and decorative motifs inspired by nature, features observed in the tea service’s Jugendstil motives and patterns.
Another outstanding lot is a sterling silver Georg Jensen pitcher (circa post-1945), designed by Danish graphic artist, designer, and art critic Johan Rohde (estimates R 50 000 – 70 000). Georg Jensen, established by the eponymous Danish designer, is still considered one of the leading figures in contemporary Scandinavian design. The pitcher is a splendid example of the Danish company’s aesthetic. The harmonious fusion of creative design and functionality will delight collectors of mid-century modern and Scandi-chic design.
The sale also features a cased set of twelve George V silver caudle (hot drink) cups and covers; a five-piece German silver tea service from Lutz & Weiss, Pforzheim; and a 20th-century three-piece Portuguese silver coffee service from Mergulhao, Lisbon. The rarity and exclusivity of some of these items make them highly coveted among investors and collectors.
“Historically, we have also seen that silver retains its value and shows capital appreciation over a period, which makes it an attractive investment. Silver as a precious metal also has inherent value, making it an asset,” says Jill van Dugteren, Design Coordinator at Strauss & and Co. “Should these items be looked after, they can last for generations and become cherished family heirlooms,” she says.
The auction house recently appointed a team of design-focused experts to bolster its Decorative Arts and Jewellery department. “This department has been a central pillar of Strauss & Co since 2009. To build on its accomplishments over the past decade, we recently recruited a new and strongly motivated team to take the department into the future,” says Bina Genovese, Managing Executive at Strauss & Co.
The new Decorative Arts, Design and Jewellery Department is made up of design coordinator Jill Van Dugteren; Olivia Barrell, specialist and consultant in silver and Asian Arts; Nicky Myburgh, furniture consultant; Kim Goeller, jewellery specialist consultant; and gemmologist consultants, Tim Watson and Mike Ellis.
Current Press Releases
- 2 Nov 2023 Internationally acclaimed but irrefutably South African: Strauss & Co’s marquee summer auction features important works by Billie Zangewa and William Kentridge
- 3 Nov 2023 Strauss & Co Unveils Exclusive Online Sale of Chinese Decorative Arts Masterpieces
- 11 Nov 2023 William Kentridge’s Cat Steals the Show at Johannesburg Auction Week
- 15 Nov 2023 Strauss & Co Unveils Enchanting Online Watch and Jewellery Sales
- 23 Nov 2023 Strauss & Co’s penultimate online auction for 2023 features a focus on Line | Colour | Shape | Form
- 24 Nov 2023 CALLING FOR CONSIGNMENTS: Paintings by J.H. Pierneef and Cinga Samson headline second-instalment of Strauss & Co’s Africa-focused auction in February 2024
- 27 Nov 2023 Strauss & Co and The Nel Erasmus Art Legacy Trust Present Conflux: A Retrospective by South African Postwar Artist Nel Erasmus
- 2 Oct 2023 With a focus on Studies and Drawings, Strauss & Co’s October online auction appeals to established and first-time collectors
- 4 Oct 2023 Recently discovered Renoir painting headlines Strauss & Co’s dynamic programme for Toyota US Woordfees
- 9 Oct 2023 Toyota US Woordfees presents exciting Benefit auction featuring established and emerging artists
- 11 Oct 2023 Strauss & Co’s Johannesburg Auction Week celebrates a century of unbroken creativity and invention in African Art
- 19 Oct 2023 Showpiece Renoir leads Strauss & Co’s 111-lot sale of international modern and contemporary art
- 23 Oct 2023 Fresh-to-market paintings by Pierneef, Preller, Sekoto and Stern to be sold during Johannesburg Auction Week
- 27 Oct 2023 International buyers flock to Strauss & Co’s spotlight auction featuring Chagall, Miró and an undiscovered Renoir
- 31 Oct 2023 Moses Tladi and Gerard Sekoto, who opened museum doors for black artists, lead an impressive offering of black moderns at Johannesburg Auction Week
- 4 Sep 2023 Strauss & Co Presents a Captivating Auction: Modern and Contemporary Art with a focus on Renowned Artist Alice Goldin
- 7 Sep 2023 Works from important single-owner and contemporary art with museum pedigree lead Strauss & Co’s marquee spring sale
- 12 Sep 2023 Exquisite Selection of Bordeaux and Bordeaux-Style South African Wines to Go Under the Hammer at Strauss & Co
- 21 Sep 2023 Unseen Renoir from South African collection, recently authenticated in Paris, headlines Strauss & Co’s globe-spanning auction
- 21 Sep 2023 Scandinavian designers, French winemakers and a canonical South African painter charm buyers at Strauss & Co’s spring sales
- 8 Aug 2023 Strauss & Co’s August online sale covers half a century of South African ceramic art
- 18 Aug 2023 Rare collections of the World's leading wines to be sold as single bottles
- 28 Aug 2023 Highly important Zanzibar portrait by Irma Stern of praying man poised to go under the hammer at Strauss & Co
- 28 Aug 2023 Leading/Inspirational businesswomen, Khetiwe McClain and Jo-Ann Strauss, join Strauss & Co
- 3 Jul 2023 Strauss & Co’s upcoming timed online auction provides art collectors with a special focus on the Eastern Cape
- 14 Jul 2023 J. H. Pierneef: Close to Home traces a half-century of innovation and unbroken fascination with the South African landscape
- 14 Jul 2023 Jewels Online: LAUNCH EDITION - Classic emeralds to contemporary designs
- 18 Jul 2023 August Art Month at Welgemeend celebrates the geography, essence and history of the Western Cape
- 7 Jun 2023 Strauss & Co’s June Timed Online Auction Features Renowned Contemporary and Early 20th Century Artists
- 8 Jun 2023 Wines from Burgundy & Champagne
- 9 Jun 2023 Rare collections of the world’s leading wines to be sold, together with a uniquely minted NFT, by Strauss & Co.
- 21 Jun 2023 Strauss & Co honours sculptors past and present with a dedicated sale and exhibition
- 26 Jun 2023 Strauss & Co Celebrating Silver
- 3 May 2023 Strauss & Co confirms its rock-solid reputation with a catalogue of blue-chip works by South African modernists for its May auction
- 3 May 2023 Strauss & Co's May Timed Online Auction Celebrates Namibian Landscape Art
- 12 May 2023 Rare and Fine Wine from Italy and Spain going under the hammer
- 12 May 2023 From Azaria to Zerffi – an eclectic collection from an art connoisseur family
- 17 May 2023 Rare colour work by exiled south African artist Dumile Feni sells for new world record price at Strauss & Co sale in Johannesburg
- 5 Apr 2023 April Timed Online Auction with a focus on Portraits, Heads and Character Studies
- 6 Apr 2023 The 2023 Cassirer Welz Award Winner
- 20 Apr 2023 Important Black Modernist Artists Lead Strauss & Co May Auction In Johannesburg
- 2 Mar 2023 Strong results at Strauss & Co’s maiden auction of modern and contemporary art from Africa
- 6 Mar 2023 Strauss & Co’s upcoming March timed online auction celebrates colour and nuance
- 13 Mar 2023 Strauss & Co bring important works by Pierneef, Preller, Stern and Tretchikoff to market
- 23 Mar 2023 Strauss & Co’s strong catalogue of women artists tracks a history of innovation from Maggie Laubser and Irma Stern to Sethembile Msezane and Ruby Swinney
- 23 Mar 2023 Art Nouveau: The Birth of Modern Style with Guest Lecturer, Dr Gregorio Thaon di Revel Mazzonis di Pralafera
- 29 Mar 2023 Record price for Irma Stern at Strauss & Co sale affirms South Africa’s status as the best marketplace to trade artworks by premium South African modernists
- 2 Feb 2023 Important Announcements from Frank Kilbourn, Strauss & Co Executive Chairperson
- 6 Feb 2023 Strauss & Co kicks off 2023 with a revitalised programme of online auctions
- 14 Feb 2023 Celebrating Esias Bosch’s centenary
- 16 Feb 2023 Strauss & Co and SANAVA partner on charity auction to secure artists’ studios in Paris
- 16 Feb 2023 The 2023 Strauss & Co Fine Wine Rhône-themed auction is one of our finest line-ups yet, featuring iconic producers from France, South Africa and the New World.
- 23 Feb 2023 Chairperson’s Report
- 27 Feb 2023 Strauss & Co’s Curatorial Voices auction maps the story of art from Gerard Sekoto to Cinga Samson
- 27 Feb 2023 "Art is a human virtue and I have given my whole self to it, for it promotes understanding among races rather than destroys it."—Gerard Sekoto
- 1 Nov 2022 Irma Stern’s bold portrait of a modern woman presents an opportunity for collectors
- 2 Nov 2022 Strauss & Co presents the most prestigious fine wine collection ever to come to market in SA
- 11 Nov 2022 Strauss & Co’s final live sale of 2022 honours the legacy of art collector, Dr Matthys Johannes Strydom
- 11 Nov 2022 Broad interest in historical and contemporary art underpins Strauss & Co’s solid results
- 18 Nov 2022 Strauss & Co presents works owned by Matthys Strydom, art dealer and storyteller extraordinaire
- 24 Nov 2022 The pedigree of art dealer and collector Matthys Strydom’s collection sees collectors pay premium prices at Strauss & Co auction
- 24 Nov 2022 Strauss & Co’s upcoming November online-only auction offers art collectors a special focus on the Cape
- 25 Nov 2022 Twinkle-twinkle little star, how about some Christmas cheer from Strauss & Co?
- 30 Nov 2022 Norval Foundation Benefit Auction 2022
- 11 Oct 2022 Strauss & Co heralds summer with a curated programme of Johannesburg sales
- 13 Oct 2022 Strauss & Co to present the first-ever sale exclusively devoted to Robert Hodgins
- 27 Oct 2022 International report identifies Strauss & Co as dominant reseller of works by William Kentridge
- 27 Oct 2022 Strauss & Co’s sculpture-only sale explores the story of SA sculpture, from past to present