Strauss & Co Presents a Captivating Auction: Modern and Contemporary Art with a focus on Renowned Artist Alice Goldin
4 Sep 2023
Strauss & Co, Africa’s leading art auction house, is delighted to announce its Modern and Contemporary Art timed online sale now live and open for bidding. This sale presents a diverse selection of over 400 artworks thoughtfully curated across four distinct sessions: Art Club, Impression/Expression and Re/View. The auction also features an homage to the legacy of Alice Goldin, a visionary artist whose work continues to inspire generations.
The sale commences with the vibrant and eclectic Art Club session. This session offers a kaleidoscope of contemporary artworks that encompass a rich spectrum of creativity.
Featuring works by Mustafa Maluka, Steven Cohen, Wycliffe Mundopa, and many more, this session promises to be a showcase of artistic innovation and cultural diversity. Amongst the highlights is the cover lot, a silkscreen by Steven Cohen, titled Alice in Wonderland (estimate R40 000 – 60 000). In this piece, Cohen intertwines themes from Lewis Carroll’s iconic children’s book with commentary on South African history.
The sale also features two prints by South African stalwart JH Pierneef – Hardekoolboom, TVL (Nilant74) (estimate R40 000 – 60 000) and Uniegebou, Pretoria (Nilant) (estimate R12 000 – 16 000) that offer collectors an opportunity to acquire works by Pierneef at affordable prices.
For American pop art enthusiasts, the sale features a bold and colourful art rug titled Diamond Dust Shoes (estimate R20 000 – 30 000), designed by Andy Warhol, featuring vibrant shoe motifs on a black background. Also on offer, is a print of the iconic character Popeye by Jeff Koons (estimate R4 000 – 6 000) which forms part of a series dedicated to the spinach-chomping sailor.
Mustafa Maluka, a South African-Dutch artist, is renowned for his striking large-scale portraits that boldly convey deep and shared insights into themes of survival and confrontation. His artworks are distinguished by a distinctive colour palette, deliberately hinting at notions of indeterminate ethnicity. The sale showcases two exceptional works by Maluka: Their Chips are Stacked so High Against Us (After Ben Sharpa-Hegemony) (estimate R150 000 – 200 000) and Resilience (estimate R150 000 – 200 000). These paintings embody Maluka’s signature style, where striking portraits are skilfully contrasted against dynamic, patterned geometric backgrounds.
A significant highlight of this auction is the session dedicated to Alice Goldin’s previously unseen printworks from her estate making their debut in the secondary art market. Born in Vienna in 1922, Goldin established herself in South Africa after the Second World War, where she excelled as both a printmaker and a painter. Her work displays a profound connection with nature, reminiscent of Japanese Ukiyo-e woodblock prints. Like Ukiyo-e, her style and themes portray the transient essence of the natural world with intricate details, whimsical forms, and contrasting colours. These rare works from her estate offer collectors a great opportunity to own a work by a pioneering South African printmaker with attractive estimates.
The Impression/Expression session features over 100 works catering to diverse tastes and offering a large selection of artworks that span the realms of impressionism and expressionism. Conrad Theys’ “Kokerbome” works are notable highlights, reflecting his deep affinity for the Northern Cape landscape, specifically quiver trees. Mountains and Clouds, (estimate R300 000 – 500 000) a striking oil painting by JH Pierneef is amongst the standout lots in this session. It features a panoramic view of a South African mountainous landscape, with towering, jagged peaks and undulating hills dominating the horizon. Moody, swirling clouds frame the sky, accompanied by imposing summits and vast plains. The colour palette shifts from shades of translucent blue to amethyst, eggplant, and deep indigo, all set against a swirling sky.
RE/VIEW, a newly-introduced session to the Strauss & Co online sale format, gives collectors a second chance to rediscover artworks that they may have missed in previous auctions. “This is part of our commitment to explore diverse approaches when presenting art, encouraging deeper understanding and rekindling appreciation for overlooked artworks. It presents collectors with an unparalleled opportunity to rediscover and acquire exquisite pieces that they may have missed previously. It also assists emerging collectors to acquire works from both rising talents and established, high-profile artists at accessible prices,” explains Senior Art Specialist Jean Le Clus Theron.
Art Club, a fixed session in the Strauss & Co online auctions and a monthly in-person event to coincide with the online auctions, has been a resounding success since its inception in February. These events provide guests and art collectors ongoing opportunities to immerse themselves in the South African art world. “Art Club events underscore our commitment to art education and appreciation. These gatherings offer a platform for attendees, ranging from novices to connoisseurs, to deepen their understanding of the secondary art market, explore the current sales, whilst enjoying the company of Strauss & Co’s knowledgeable art specialists and celebrated artists, accompanied by impeccable hospitality,” says Kayleen Wrigley, Art Valuation Specialist at Strauss & Co. Art Club events take place on the first Tuesday of every month, alternating between Strauss & Co’s Johannesburg and Cape Town salerooms.
This timed online auction that runs until 11 September promises to be a memorable week that brings together art enthusiasts, collectors, and connoisseurs to celebrate the beauty of artistic expression. Join us in exploring the realms of creativity, innovation, and inspiration, all online at the touch of your fingertips on our website: www.straussart.co.za
This month’s Art Club introduces Art Quiz Night, hosted by quiz master Jacques van Straten. It promises to be an evening of art-themed fun for everyone. It will start with a short talk about The Threads of Africa Project presented by director of Julia Meintjes Fine Art, and curator, Julia Meintjes. The Threads of Africa Project is a joint project between the weavers of the Mdukatshani Development Trust, based in the Thukela Valley of KwaZulu Natal, and Julia Meintjes Fine Art. These exquisite objects convey a blend of fine craftsmanship and timeless appeal, while also capturing age-old weaving techniques used in the region, inspired by the rich landscape and history of KwaZulu Natal. Strauss & Co is delighted to be offering three unique examples of exquisitely woven copper-coated wire bowls from the Threads of Africa Project in the upcoming Mid-Century Furniture sale taking place later on in September.
Current Press Releases
- 2 Nov 2023 Internationally acclaimed but irrefutably South African: Strauss & Co’s marquee summer auction features important works by Billie Zangewa and William Kentridge
- 3 Nov 2023 Strauss & Co Unveils Exclusive Online Sale of Chinese Decorative Arts Masterpieces
- 11 Nov 2023 William Kentridge’s Cat Steals the Show at Johannesburg Auction Week
- 15 Nov 2023 Strauss & Co Unveils Enchanting Online Watch and Jewellery Sales
- 23 Nov 2023 Strauss & Co’s penultimate online auction for 2023 features a focus on Line | Colour | Shape | Form
- 24 Nov 2023 CALLING FOR CONSIGNMENTS: Paintings by J.H. Pierneef and Cinga Samson headline second-instalment of Strauss & Co’s Africa-focused auction in February 2024
- 27 Nov 2023 Strauss & Co and The Nel Erasmus Art Legacy Trust Present Conflux: A Retrospective by South African Postwar Artist Nel Erasmus
- 2 Oct 2023 With a focus on Studies and Drawings, Strauss & Co’s October online auction appeals to established and first-time collectors
- 4 Oct 2023 Recently discovered Renoir painting headlines Strauss & Co’s dynamic programme for Toyota US Woordfees
- 9 Oct 2023 Toyota US Woordfees presents exciting Benefit auction featuring established and emerging artists
- 11 Oct 2023 Strauss & Co’s Johannesburg Auction Week celebrates a century of unbroken creativity and invention in African Art
- 19 Oct 2023 Showpiece Renoir leads Strauss & Co’s 111-lot sale of international modern and contemporary art
- 23 Oct 2023 Fresh-to-market paintings by Pierneef, Preller, Sekoto and Stern to be sold during Johannesburg Auction Week
- 27 Oct 2023 International buyers flock to Strauss & Co’s spotlight auction featuring Chagall, Miró and an undiscovered Renoir
- 31 Oct 2023 Moses Tladi and Gerard Sekoto, who opened museum doors for black artists, lead an impressive offering of black moderns at Johannesburg Auction Week
- 4 Sep 2023 Strauss & Co Presents a Captivating Auction: Modern and Contemporary Art with a focus on Renowned Artist Alice Goldin
- 7 Sep 2023 Works from important single-owner and contemporary art with museum pedigree lead Strauss & Co’s marquee spring sale
- 12 Sep 2023 Exquisite Selection of Bordeaux and Bordeaux-Style South African Wines to Go Under the Hammer at Strauss & Co
- 21 Sep 2023 Unseen Renoir from South African collection, recently authenticated in Paris, headlines Strauss & Co’s globe-spanning auction
- 21 Sep 2023 Scandinavian designers, French winemakers and a canonical South African painter charm buyers at Strauss & Co’s spring sales
- 8 Aug 2023 Strauss & Co’s August online sale covers half a century of South African ceramic art
- 18 Aug 2023 Rare collections of the World's leading wines to be sold as single bottles
- 28 Aug 2023 Highly important Zanzibar portrait by Irma Stern of praying man poised to go under the hammer at Strauss & Co
- 28 Aug 2023 Leading/Inspirational businesswomen, Khetiwe McClain and Jo-Ann Strauss, join Strauss & Co
- 3 Jul 2023 Strauss & Co’s upcoming timed online auction provides art collectors with a special focus on the Eastern Cape
- 14 Jul 2023 J. H. Pierneef: Close to Home traces a half-century of innovation and unbroken fascination with the South African landscape
- 14 Jul 2023 Jewels Online: LAUNCH EDITION - Classic emeralds to contemporary designs
- 18 Jul 2023 August Art Month at Welgemeend celebrates the geography, essence and history of the Western Cape
- 7 Jun 2023 Strauss & Co’s June Timed Online Auction Features Renowned Contemporary and Early 20th Century Artists
- 8 Jun 2023 Wines from Burgundy & Champagne
- 9 Jun 2023 Rare collections of the world’s leading wines to be sold, together with a uniquely minted NFT, by Strauss & Co.
- 21 Jun 2023 Strauss & Co honours sculptors past and present with a dedicated sale and exhibition
- 26 Jun 2023 Strauss & Co Celebrating Silver
- 3 May 2023 Strauss & Co confirms its rock-solid reputation with a catalogue of blue-chip works by South African modernists for its May auction
- 3 May 2023 Strauss & Co's May Timed Online Auction Celebrates Namibian Landscape Art
- 12 May 2023 Rare and Fine Wine from Italy and Spain going under the hammer
- 12 May 2023 From Azaria to Zerffi – an eclectic collection from an art connoisseur family
- 17 May 2023 Rare colour work by exiled south African artist Dumile Feni sells for new world record price at Strauss & Co sale in Johannesburg
- 5 Apr 2023 April Timed Online Auction with a focus on Portraits, Heads and Character Studies
- 6 Apr 2023 The 2023 Cassirer Welz Award Winner
- 20 Apr 2023 Important Black Modernist Artists Lead Strauss & Co May Auction In Johannesburg
- 2 Mar 2023 Strong results at Strauss & Co’s maiden auction of modern and contemporary art from Africa
- 6 Mar 2023 Strauss & Co’s upcoming March timed online auction celebrates colour and nuance
- 13 Mar 2023 Strauss & Co bring important works by Pierneef, Preller, Stern and Tretchikoff to market
- 23 Mar 2023 Strauss & Co’s strong catalogue of women artists tracks a history of innovation from Maggie Laubser and Irma Stern to Sethembile Msezane and Ruby Swinney
- 23 Mar 2023 Art Nouveau: The Birth of Modern Style with Guest Lecturer, Dr Gregorio Thaon di Revel Mazzonis di Pralafera
- 29 Mar 2023 Record price for Irma Stern at Strauss & Co sale affirms South Africa’s status as the best marketplace to trade artworks by premium South African modernists
- 2 Feb 2023 Important Announcements from Frank Kilbourn, Strauss & Co Executive Chairperson
- 6 Feb 2023 Strauss & Co kicks off 2023 with a revitalised programme of online auctions
- 14 Feb 2023 Celebrating Esias Bosch’s centenary
- 16 Feb 2023 Strauss & Co and SANAVA partner on charity auction to secure artists’ studios in Paris
- 16 Feb 2023 The 2023 Strauss & Co Fine Wine Rhône-themed auction is one of our finest line-ups yet, featuring iconic producers from France, South Africa and the New World.
- 23 Feb 2023 Chairperson’s Report
- 27 Feb 2023 Strauss & Co’s Curatorial Voices auction maps the story of art from Gerard Sekoto to Cinga Samson
- 27 Feb 2023 "Art is a human virtue and I have given my whole self to it, for it promotes understanding among races rather than destroys it."—Gerard Sekoto
- 1 Nov 2022 Irma Stern’s bold portrait of a modern woman presents an opportunity for collectors
- 2 Nov 2022 Strauss & Co presents the most prestigious fine wine collection ever to come to market in SA
- 11 Nov 2022 Strauss & Co’s final live sale of 2022 honours the legacy of art collector, Dr Matthys Johannes Strydom
- 11 Nov 2022 Broad interest in historical and contemporary art underpins Strauss & Co’s solid results
- 18 Nov 2022 Strauss & Co presents works owned by Matthys Strydom, art dealer and storyteller extraordinaire
- 24 Nov 2022 The pedigree of art dealer and collector Matthys Strydom’s collection sees collectors pay premium prices at Strauss & Co auction
- 24 Nov 2022 Strauss & Co’s upcoming November online-only auction offers art collectors a special focus on the Cape
- 25 Nov 2022 Twinkle-twinkle little star, how about some Christmas cheer from Strauss & Co?
- 30 Nov 2022 Norval Foundation Benefit Auction 2022
- 11 Oct 2022 Strauss & Co heralds summer with a curated programme of Johannesburg sales
- 13 Oct 2022 Strauss & Co to present the first-ever sale exclusively devoted to Robert Hodgins
- 27 Oct 2022 International report identifies Strauss & Co as dominant reseller of works by William Kentridge
- 27 Oct 2022 Strauss & Co’s sculpture-only sale explores the story of SA sculpture, from past to present