Jewels Online: LAUNCH EDITION - Classic emeralds to contemporary designs
14 Jul 2023
Leading African auction house Strauss & Co. is proud to announce the opening of their online standalone jewellery sale, curated by the company’s newly established jewellery department. The sale is open for view online until 2pm on 24th July and offers collectors and aficionados an eclectic selection that caters to a diverse range of tastes and budgets.
Classic emeralds to contemporary designs
“Pearl strands, high-value diamonds, and some extraordinary emerald pieces will beguile connoisseurs who prefer the classics,” says Kim Goeller, the auction house’s newly appointed specialist jewellery consultant, who spearheaded the sale.
She highlights a three-stone emerald cocktail ring, reminiscent of Elizabeth Taylor’s legendary Bulgari emerald and diamond suite, a gift from her would-be husband Richard Burton in 1962 while filming Cleopatra. “The ring is a true showstopper, boasting a trio of rare verdant green emeralds.”
The centre stone weighs 2.6 carats, with a total emerald weight of approximately 4.6 carats. A halo of meticulously set diamonds traces the emeralds in an opulent platinum setting (Estimate R180 000 – R200 000).
Evoking influences from Bulgari‘s Serpenti collection is a jade green enamel and 18k yellow gold snake-motif bangle, weighing 63 grams. The enamel’s vibrant green colour evokes the impression of imperial jade, while the intricate scale pattern highlights the craftsmanship of Europe’s finest artisans. The piece is adorned with tube-set rubies that serve as eyes, and an almond-shaped head plate made up of three round old European-cut diamonds (Estimate R 50 000 – 55 000).
Jewellery aficionados who prefer designer names and statement pieces will be interested in an 18k yellow gold Bulgari disk-shaped pendant. The brand has maintained its timeless reputation since the Golden Age of Cinema and continues to captivate a new generation of celebrities. Anne Hathaway, Zendaya, and K-Pop superstar Lisa from Blackpink frequently choose Bulgari for their red-carpet appearances.
Branded with Bulgari’s logo, the pendant’s design draws inspiration from inscriptions found on ancient Roman coins. It is spectacularly set with 72 round cut diamonds totalling 2.7 carats and weighs 12.1 grams (Estimate R60 000 – 65 000).
“The pendant provides great value for those who have long desired one of the Italian house’s iconic designs,” says Goeller.
Appetite for alternate assets
“Trends and market research indicate a growing appetite for luxury assets as alternate investments, which includes high-value jewellery and precious metals,” Bina Genovese, Managing Executive at Strauss & Co, explains.
On the secondary market, Hermès‘ Birkin bags and watches from Rolex, Patek Philippe, and Audemars Piguet have exhibited stellar performance, occasionally surpassing more traditional asset classes’ returns on investment. Luxury jewellery seems to follow a similar trajectory as collectors show growing interest in alternate investment opportunities.
“As clients’ preferences evolve with global investment trends, we remain dedicated to innovation to meet the growing expectations of our community of buyers. We pride ourselves in offering best-in-class service, whether it involves handling contemporary art consignments or evaluating exquisite jewellery. The new team of jewellery specialists bring a wealth of knowledge and expertise to the company and comprises esteemed leaders in their respective domains,” says Susie Goodman, Managing Executive at Strauss & Co.
Goeller, who procures diamonds and gemstones for private clients both locally and internationally, is accompanied by esteemed gemmologists Tim Watson and Mike Ellis. Both Watson and Ellis are highly regarded authorities in the diamond and gem industry. Goeller received training from Watson, who is also a Fellow of the Gemmological Association of Great Britain (FGA) and previously oversaw the Diamond Certification Laboratory of the Jewellery Council in South Africa. Ellis, their colleague, leads diamond valuations at Strauss & Co in Johannesburg and has held positions as Chairman, Vice-Chairman, and Treasurer at the Diamond Dealers Club of South Africa.
Prospective buyers can choose from pieces adorned with exquisite London topaz, morganite, amethyst, and citrine. An impressive selection of jewellery from iconic brands Bulgari, Tiffany & Co., Boucheron, and Pomellato, along with well-known South African designers and producers Jenna Clifford, Browns, and Bellagio, are also on offer.
Current Press Releases
- 2 Nov 2023 Internationally acclaimed but irrefutably South African: Strauss & Co’s marquee summer auction features important works by Billie Zangewa and William Kentridge
- 3 Nov 2023 Strauss & Co Unveils Exclusive Online Sale of Chinese Decorative Arts Masterpieces
- 11 Nov 2023 William Kentridge’s Cat Steals the Show at Johannesburg Auction Week
- 15 Nov 2023 Strauss & Co Unveils Enchanting Online Watch and Jewellery Sales
- 23 Nov 2023 Strauss & Co’s penultimate online auction for 2023 features a focus on Line | Colour | Shape | Form
- 24 Nov 2023 CALLING FOR CONSIGNMENTS: Paintings by J.H. Pierneef and Cinga Samson headline second-instalment of Strauss & Co’s Africa-focused auction in February 2024
- 27 Nov 2023 Strauss & Co and The Nel Erasmus Art Legacy Trust Present Conflux: A Retrospective by South African Postwar Artist Nel Erasmus
- 2 Oct 2023 With a focus on Studies and Drawings, Strauss & Co’s October online auction appeals to established and first-time collectors
- 4 Oct 2023 Recently discovered Renoir painting headlines Strauss & Co’s dynamic programme for Toyota US Woordfees
- 9 Oct 2023 Toyota US Woordfees presents exciting Benefit auction featuring established and emerging artists
- 11 Oct 2023 Strauss & Co’s Johannesburg Auction Week celebrates a century of unbroken creativity and invention in African Art
- 19 Oct 2023 Showpiece Renoir leads Strauss & Co’s 111-lot sale of international modern and contemporary art
- 23 Oct 2023 Fresh-to-market paintings by Pierneef, Preller, Sekoto and Stern to be sold during Johannesburg Auction Week
- 27 Oct 2023 International buyers flock to Strauss & Co’s spotlight auction featuring Chagall, Miró and an undiscovered Renoir
- 31 Oct 2023 Moses Tladi and Gerard Sekoto, who opened museum doors for black artists, lead an impressive offering of black moderns at Johannesburg Auction Week
- 4 Sep 2023 Strauss & Co Presents a Captivating Auction: Modern and Contemporary Art with a focus on Renowned Artist Alice Goldin
- 7 Sep 2023 Works from important single-owner and contemporary art with museum pedigree lead Strauss & Co’s marquee spring sale
- 12 Sep 2023 Exquisite Selection of Bordeaux and Bordeaux-Style South African Wines to Go Under the Hammer at Strauss & Co
- 21 Sep 2023 Unseen Renoir from South African collection, recently authenticated in Paris, headlines Strauss & Co’s globe-spanning auction
- 21 Sep 2023 Scandinavian designers, French winemakers and a canonical South African painter charm buyers at Strauss & Co’s spring sales
- 8 Aug 2023 Strauss & Co’s August online sale covers half a century of South African ceramic art
- 18 Aug 2023 Rare collections of the World's leading wines to be sold as single bottles
- 28 Aug 2023 Highly important Zanzibar portrait by Irma Stern of praying man poised to go under the hammer at Strauss & Co
- 28 Aug 2023 Leading/Inspirational businesswomen, Khetiwe McClain and Jo-Ann Strauss, join Strauss & Co
- 3 Jul 2023 Strauss & Co’s upcoming timed online auction provides art collectors with a special focus on the Eastern Cape
- 14 Jul 2023 J. H. Pierneef: Close to Home traces a half-century of innovation and unbroken fascination with the South African landscape
- 14 Jul 2023 Jewels Online: LAUNCH EDITION - Classic emeralds to contemporary designs
- 18 Jul 2023 August Art Month at Welgemeend celebrates the geography, essence and history of the Western Cape
- 7 Jun 2023 Strauss & Co’s June Timed Online Auction Features Renowned Contemporary and Early 20th Century Artists
- 8 Jun 2023 Wines from Burgundy & Champagne
- 9 Jun 2023 Rare collections of the world’s leading wines to be sold, together with a uniquely minted NFT, by Strauss & Co.
- 21 Jun 2023 Strauss & Co honours sculptors past and present with a dedicated sale and exhibition
- 26 Jun 2023 Strauss & Co Celebrating Silver
- 3 May 2023 Strauss & Co confirms its rock-solid reputation with a catalogue of blue-chip works by South African modernists for its May auction
- 3 May 2023 Strauss & Co's May Timed Online Auction Celebrates Namibian Landscape Art
- 12 May 2023 Rare and Fine Wine from Italy and Spain going under the hammer
- 12 May 2023 From Azaria to Zerffi – an eclectic collection from an art connoisseur family
- 17 May 2023 Rare colour work by exiled south African artist Dumile Feni sells for new world record price at Strauss & Co sale in Johannesburg
- 5 Apr 2023 April Timed Online Auction with a focus on Portraits, Heads and Character Studies
- 6 Apr 2023 The 2023 Cassirer Welz Award Winner
- 20 Apr 2023 Important Black Modernist Artists Lead Strauss & Co May Auction In Johannesburg
- 2 Mar 2023 Strong results at Strauss & Co’s maiden auction of modern and contemporary art from Africa
- 6 Mar 2023 Strauss & Co’s upcoming March timed online auction celebrates colour and nuance
- 13 Mar 2023 Strauss & Co bring important works by Pierneef, Preller, Stern and Tretchikoff to market
- 23 Mar 2023 Strauss & Co’s strong catalogue of women artists tracks a history of innovation from Maggie Laubser and Irma Stern to Sethembile Msezane and Ruby Swinney
- 23 Mar 2023 Art Nouveau: The Birth of Modern Style with Guest Lecturer, Dr Gregorio Thaon di Revel Mazzonis di Pralafera
- 29 Mar 2023 Record price for Irma Stern at Strauss & Co sale affirms South Africa’s status as the best marketplace to trade artworks by premium South African modernists
- 2 Feb 2023 Important Announcements from Frank Kilbourn, Strauss & Co Executive Chairperson
- 6 Feb 2023 Strauss & Co kicks off 2023 with a revitalised programme of online auctions
- 14 Feb 2023 Celebrating Esias Bosch’s centenary
- 16 Feb 2023 Strauss & Co and SANAVA partner on charity auction to secure artists’ studios in Paris
- 16 Feb 2023 The 2023 Strauss & Co Fine Wine Rhône-themed auction is one of our finest line-ups yet, featuring iconic producers from France, South Africa and the New World.
- 23 Feb 2023 Chairperson’s Report
- 27 Feb 2023 Strauss & Co’s Curatorial Voices auction maps the story of art from Gerard Sekoto to Cinga Samson
- 27 Feb 2023 "Art is a human virtue and I have given my whole self to it, for it promotes understanding among races rather than destroys it."—Gerard Sekoto
- 1 Nov 2022 Irma Stern’s bold portrait of a modern woman presents an opportunity for collectors
- 2 Nov 2022 Strauss & Co presents the most prestigious fine wine collection ever to come to market in SA
- 11 Nov 2022 Strauss & Co’s final live sale of 2022 honours the legacy of art collector, Dr Matthys Johannes Strydom
- 11 Nov 2022 Broad interest in historical and contemporary art underpins Strauss & Co’s solid results
- 18 Nov 2022 Strauss & Co presents works owned by Matthys Strydom, art dealer and storyteller extraordinaire
- 24 Nov 2022 The pedigree of art dealer and collector Matthys Strydom’s collection sees collectors pay premium prices at Strauss & Co auction
- 24 Nov 2022 Strauss & Co’s upcoming November online-only auction offers art collectors a special focus on the Cape
- 25 Nov 2022 Twinkle-twinkle little star, how about some Christmas cheer from Strauss & Co?
- 30 Nov 2022 Norval Foundation Benefit Auction 2022
- 11 Oct 2022 Strauss & Co heralds summer with a curated programme of Johannesburg sales
- 13 Oct 2022 Strauss & Co to present the first-ever sale exclusively devoted to Robert Hodgins
- 27 Oct 2022 International report identifies Strauss & Co as dominant reseller of works by William Kentridge
- 27 Oct 2022 Strauss & Co’s sculpture-only sale explores the story of SA sculpture, from past to present