Strauss & Co presents works owned by Matthys Strydom, art dealer and storyteller extraordinaire
18 Nov 2022
Matthys Strydom (1935-2022), the legendary George art dealer whose survey collection of 20th-century South African painting goes on sale in Cape Town on Tuesday, 22 November 2022, was a committed storyteller.
Witty and knowledgeable, Strydom published two conversational books about his encyclopaedic collection of art. The stories they contain reveal the passion, intellect and dogged persistence he invested in acquiring the works being presented by Strauss & Co in its single-owner presentation of the Property of Dr Matthys Strydom Family Collection.
One particular story relates to Irma Stern’s Pondo Woman with Pipe (estimate R2.5 – 3.5 million), a portrait of an AmaMpondo woman drawing smoke from a traditional long-stemmed pipe. Strydom tells how his neighbour, a church minister in Heidelberg near Johannesburg, had acquired the work on terms from the artist and proudly displayed it in the parsonage’s lounge. Strydom later acquired the work from the dominee’s daughter. He too negotiated instalment terms with the seller.
The landscape genre features strongly in the Strydom Family Collection, with fine examples by Gregoire Boonzaier, Pranas Domsaitis, Maggie Laubser, Erik Laubscher, Hugo Naudé, Ruth Prowse, Fred Schimmel, Nita Spilhaus, JEA Volschenk, Jean Welz and Pieter Wenning. Boonzaier was the first living artist of consequence that Strydom met during his long journey as a collector. The Strydom Collection includes 14 oils, notably the old Cape scenes Yellow Neighbourhood, Bo-Kaap (estimate R250 000 – 300 000).
Composed of nearly 300 lots of modern, post-war and contemporary art, the Strydom Family Collection includes two bushveld landscapes by J. H. Pierneef from the 1940s. Strydom acquired Pierneef’s Bosveldbomme/ Bushveld Trees (estimate and R2 – 3 million) in 1972 following protracted negotiations with the seller, his former English teacher at Hoërskool Outeniqua. Bosveldboomlandskap/ Bushveld Landscape with Trees (estimate R1.8 – 2.4 million) was acquired from a seller in Klein Brak River, who, Strydom tells, used the proceeds to save the family’s struggling service station in Mossel Bay.
Strydom’s fireside stories frequently allow for humour and profundity. Alexis Preller’s 1965 composition The Poet (estimate R800 000 – 1.2 million) was originally titled The Prophet but was renamed by its previous owner, celebrated poet Ernest van Heerden. Poets, Van Heerden told Strydom, are also prophets. Acquired by Strydom in 1995 after it failed to sell at his eponymous gallery, Stanley Pinker’s enigmatic triptych Nightscape (estimate R300 000 – 500 000) fascinated Strydom for decades. “The content is inexhaustible,” he wrote, offering a larger insight into his fine collection.
The Strydom Family Collection will be presented in two instalments. Strauss & Co will introduce 200 works with broad collector appeal in a timed-online sale starting at 2pm on 22 November 2022. At 7pm on the same day, Strauss & Co will host a live-virtual sale of high-value works at the historical manor house of Welgemeend, Gardens, Cape Town. The sale of the Strydom Family Collection is accompanied by a detailed e-catalogue. Works for sale can be previewed at Welgemeend until 22 November 2022.
Current Press Releases
- 2 Nov 2023 Internationally acclaimed but irrefutably South African: Strauss & Co’s marquee summer auction features important works by Billie Zangewa and William Kentridge
- 3 Nov 2023 Strauss & Co Unveils Exclusive Online Sale of Chinese Decorative Arts Masterpieces
- 11 Nov 2023 William Kentridge’s Cat Steals the Show at Johannesburg Auction Week
- 15 Nov 2023 Strauss & Co Unveils Enchanting Online Watch and Jewellery Sales
- 23 Nov 2023 Strauss & Co’s penultimate online auction for 2023 features a focus on Line | Colour | Shape | Form
- 24 Nov 2023 CALLING FOR CONSIGNMENTS: Paintings by J.H. Pierneef and Cinga Samson headline second-instalment of Strauss & Co’s Africa-focused auction in February 2024
- 27 Nov 2023 Strauss & Co and The Nel Erasmus Art Legacy Trust Present Conflux: A Retrospective by South African Postwar Artist Nel Erasmus
- 2 Oct 2023 With a focus on Studies and Drawings, Strauss & Co’s October online auction appeals to established and first-time collectors
- 4 Oct 2023 Recently discovered Renoir painting headlines Strauss & Co’s dynamic programme for Toyota US Woordfees
- 9 Oct 2023 Toyota US Woordfees presents exciting Benefit auction featuring established and emerging artists
- 11 Oct 2023 Strauss & Co’s Johannesburg Auction Week celebrates a century of unbroken creativity and invention in African Art
- 19 Oct 2023 Showpiece Renoir leads Strauss & Co’s 111-lot sale of international modern and contemporary art
- 23 Oct 2023 Fresh-to-market paintings by Pierneef, Preller, Sekoto and Stern to be sold during Johannesburg Auction Week
- 27 Oct 2023 International buyers flock to Strauss & Co’s spotlight auction featuring Chagall, Miró and an undiscovered Renoir
- 31 Oct 2023 Moses Tladi and Gerard Sekoto, who opened museum doors for black artists, lead an impressive offering of black moderns at Johannesburg Auction Week
- 4 Sep 2023 Strauss & Co Presents a Captivating Auction: Modern and Contemporary Art with a focus on Renowned Artist Alice Goldin
- 7 Sep 2023 Works from important single-owner and contemporary art with museum pedigree lead Strauss & Co’s marquee spring sale
- 12 Sep 2023 Exquisite Selection of Bordeaux and Bordeaux-Style South African Wines to Go Under the Hammer at Strauss & Co
- 21 Sep 2023 Unseen Renoir from South African collection, recently authenticated in Paris, headlines Strauss & Co’s globe-spanning auction
- 21 Sep 2023 Scandinavian designers, French winemakers and a canonical South African painter charm buyers at Strauss & Co’s spring sales
- 8 Aug 2023 Strauss & Co’s August online sale covers half a century of South African ceramic art
- 18 Aug 2023 Rare collections of the World's leading wines to be sold as single bottles
- 28 Aug 2023 Highly important Zanzibar portrait by Irma Stern of praying man poised to go under the hammer at Strauss & Co
- 28 Aug 2023 Leading/Inspirational businesswomen, Khetiwe McClain and Jo-Ann Strauss, join Strauss & Co
- 3 Jul 2023 Strauss & Co’s upcoming timed online auction provides art collectors with a special focus on the Eastern Cape
- 14 Jul 2023 J. H. Pierneef: Close to Home traces a half-century of innovation and unbroken fascination with the South African landscape
- 14 Jul 2023 Jewels Online: LAUNCH EDITION - Classic emeralds to contemporary designs
- 18 Jul 2023 August Art Month at Welgemeend celebrates the geography, essence and history of the Western Cape
- 7 Jun 2023 Strauss & Co’s June Timed Online Auction Features Renowned Contemporary and Early 20th Century Artists
- 8 Jun 2023 Wines from Burgundy & Champagne
- 9 Jun 2023 Rare collections of the world’s leading wines to be sold, together with a uniquely minted NFT, by Strauss & Co.
- 21 Jun 2023 Strauss & Co honours sculptors past and present with a dedicated sale and exhibition
- 26 Jun 2023 Strauss & Co Celebrating Silver
- 3 May 2023 Strauss & Co confirms its rock-solid reputation with a catalogue of blue-chip works by South African modernists for its May auction
- 3 May 2023 Strauss & Co's May Timed Online Auction Celebrates Namibian Landscape Art
- 12 May 2023 Rare and Fine Wine from Italy and Spain going under the hammer
- 12 May 2023 From Azaria to Zerffi – an eclectic collection from an art connoisseur family
- 17 May 2023 Rare colour work by exiled south African artist Dumile Feni sells for new world record price at Strauss & Co sale in Johannesburg
- 5 Apr 2023 April Timed Online Auction with a focus on Portraits, Heads and Character Studies
- 6 Apr 2023 The 2023 Cassirer Welz Award Winner
- 20 Apr 2023 Important Black Modernist Artists Lead Strauss & Co May Auction In Johannesburg
- 2 Mar 2023 Strong results at Strauss & Co’s maiden auction of modern and contemporary art from Africa
- 6 Mar 2023 Strauss & Co’s upcoming March timed online auction celebrates colour and nuance
- 13 Mar 2023 Strauss & Co bring important works by Pierneef, Preller, Stern and Tretchikoff to market
- 23 Mar 2023 Strauss & Co’s strong catalogue of women artists tracks a history of innovation from Maggie Laubser and Irma Stern to Sethembile Msezane and Ruby Swinney
- 23 Mar 2023 Art Nouveau: The Birth of Modern Style with Guest Lecturer, Dr Gregorio Thaon di Revel Mazzonis di Pralafera
- 29 Mar 2023 Record price for Irma Stern at Strauss & Co sale affirms South Africa’s status as the best marketplace to trade artworks by premium South African modernists
- 2 Feb 2023 Important Announcements from Frank Kilbourn, Strauss & Co Executive Chairperson
- 6 Feb 2023 Strauss & Co kicks off 2023 with a revitalised programme of online auctions
- 14 Feb 2023 Celebrating Esias Bosch’s centenary
- 16 Feb 2023 Strauss & Co and SANAVA partner on charity auction to secure artists’ studios in Paris
- 16 Feb 2023 The 2023 Strauss & Co Fine Wine Rhône-themed auction is one of our finest line-ups yet, featuring iconic producers from France, South Africa and the New World.
- 23 Feb 2023 Chairperson’s Report
- 27 Feb 2023 Strauss & Co’s Curatorial Voices auction maps the story of art from Gerard Sekoto to Cinga Samson
- 27 Feb 2023 "Art is a human virtue and I have given my whole self to it, for it promotes understanding among races rather than destroys it."—Gerard Sekoto
- 1 Nov 2022 Irma Stern’s bold portrait of a modern woman presents an opportunity for collectors
- 2 Nov 2022 Strauss & Co presents the most prestigious fine wine collection ever to come to market in SA
- 11 Nov 2022 Strauss & Co’s final live sale of 2022 honours the legacy of art collector, Dr Matthys Johannes Strydom
- 11 Nov 2022 Broad interest in historical and contemporary art underpins Strauss & Co’s solid results
- 18 Nov 2022 Strauss & Co presents works owned by Matthys Strydom, art dealer and storyteller extraordinaire
- 24 Nov 2022 The pedigree of art dealer and collector Matthys Strydom’s collection sees collectors pay premium prices at Strauss & Co auction
- 24 Nov 2022 Strauss & Co’s upcoming November online-only auction offers art collectors a special focus on the Cape
- 25 Nov 2022 Twinkle-twinkle little star, how about some Christmas cheer from Strauss & Co?
- 30 Nov 2022 Norval Foundation Benefit Auction 2022
- 11 Oct 2022 Strauss & Co heralds summer with a curated programme of Johannesburg sales
- 13 Oct 2022 Strauss & Co to present the first-ever sale exclusively devoted to Robert Hodgins
- 27 Oct 2022 International report identifies Strauss & Co as dominant reseller of works by William Kentridge
- 27 Oct 2022 Strauss & Co’s sculpture-only sale explores the story of SA sculpture, from past to present