Live Auction, 7 October 2019
About this Item
The AVA Portfolio A Cut Above features linocuts by the following artists:
1. David Hlongwane (South African 1963 -), Moving Forward;
2. Claudette Schreuders (South African 1973-), Ben en Blakkie I;
3. Penny George (South African 1974-), Power Cuts;
4. Lizette Chirrime (Mozambican 1973-), Seya;
5. Asemahle Ntlonti (South African 1993-), Untitled;
6. Khehla Chepape Makgato (South African 1988-), Empress Manthatisi Mosanyane Mokotjo;
7. Helen Sebidi (South African 1943-); Untitled.
The portfolio was published by Artist Proof Studio in a limited edition of 10 with 1 AP and 1 PP. The current lot is the first of the edition and the fourth, annual AVA portfolio, after Burr: Print and Purpose (2016), Photo Focus (2017) and Com!cs (2018).
Artist proofs, including additional proofs of linocuts not selected for the AVA portfolio, will be exhibited at the AVA Gallery from 26 September until 19 October 2019.
Proceeds from the sale of this lot will benefit the AVA ArtReach fund. Initiated in the late 1980s, the AVA ArtReach fund serves to nurture (South) African talent. Over the years, the ArtReach programme has funded a broad spectrum of artists’ needs, including: art materials, art tuition/workshops, framing, studio rentals, exhibition costs for shows at AVA Gallery and many other art related matters. AVA ArtReach has launched several emerging artists who have gone on to achieve success, notably Maurice Mbikayi, iQhiya and Mandla Vanyaza. The AVA calls for proposals for its ArtReach fund on an annual basis.