Online Auction of works by Andile Dyalvane – for generations to come
17 Nov 2021
In partnership with Strauss & Co, Sanlam Private Wealth is proud to present an online auction of five ceramic artworks by globally acclaimed master ceramicist Andile Dyalvane.
The proceeds will benefit the artist’s former school in his home village in the Eastern Cape, Ngobozana Primary School.
Andile Dyalvane is a well-travelled designer and internationally renowned artist with residencies in Denmark, France, the US and Taiwan. He has also exhibited his work with great success in London and New York. Locally, he is a co-founder of Imiso Ceramics.
In keeping with Andile’s ethos of camagu, or gratitude – a signature line featured in all his projects which reminds him of the responsibility to leave a footprint for the next generation – he seeks to help his former school, which is in dire need of infrastructure and educational equipment.
‘By donating the proceeds of this special auction, I wish to honour my heritage and give something back to the community where it all started, where as a small child in Ngobozana I was moulding clay oxen along the river banks with my friends,’ he says. ‘Also, my success is because of those who came before me – they paved the way for us to be able to continue where they left off.’
Sanlam Private Wealth has for some time now been collaborating with Andile as part of a broader strategy to showcase its distinct approach to wealth creation and preservation. In a similar fashion to how artists create one-of-a-kind pieces with careful planning, deliberation and inspiration, Sanlam Private Wealth approaches clients as individuals with unique needs that require customised solutions.
‘It gives us great pleasure to present this online auction of Andile’s works in partnership with Strauss & Co – it provides us with an opportunity to collectively contribute to furthering the education of our current and future generations,’ says Carl Roothman, CEO of Sanlam Private Wealth.
FOCUS ON CERAMICS
For Strauss & Co, the online auction – for which it is waiving all fees – forms part of a focus on cultivating a better appreciation for contemporary South African art ceramics on the secondary market.
‘We are delighted to be able to not only showcase Andile’s work in this vital medium, but also for the opportunity to assist him in making a difference in the lives of the people of his home village – giving a hand up to those who come after us,’ says Frank Kilbourn, Chairperson of Strauss & Co.
ABOUT THE AUCTION
The Strauss & Co online-only auction includes a dedicated session of Andile’s five ceramic works and will be open for bidding from 8am on Monday 22 November 2021, and will close at 8pm Monday 29 November 2021. Register, browse & bid: www.straussart.co.za
ABOUT THE PIECES
All Andile’s works are once-off and signed dated and marked with the artist’s monogram.
- Elwalweni, IIndonga Series – made for and exhibited at the GFI Ceramic Fair from 4 April to 5 May 2019. Materials: white stoneware and charcoal clay. Dimensions: 33 by 29,5cm. Estimate: R100 000 to R150 000.
The IIndonga Collection is an energetic body of ceramic works seeking to transport you through the echoing passages of a moving, breathing, rhythmic earth. In his home village of Ngobozana, Andile began to recognise the elation induced from singing to the earth, clay at his fingertips – he dances with swift, pulsating intention when creating these impressed footprints of motion in his Cape Town studio.
- Nyulu (Purify), was made for an intimate group show held at the Southern Guild Gallery in Cape Town from 14 November 2019 to 30 January 2020 titled Communion. Materials: glazed and painted charcoal clay. Dimensions: 50 by 50 by 67cm. Estimate: R300 000 to R400 000.
Andile is guided by a deep spiritual connection to his isiXhosa ancestors through his work. In this piece, he enacts the deep significance of camagu in isiXhosa culture, symbolising essential steps towards reconciliation and personal growth.
- Africasso, Africasso Series, showcased at the Imiso Gallery. Materials: stoneware clay. Dimensions: 24,3 x 24cm. Estimate: R30 000 to R50 000.
Picasso was inspired by Africa and Andile was inspired by Picasso, and the two meet in a collection of ceramic bowls and vases that reflect a deep yet emotive fusion of creative design and visual art on clay.
- Scarified, Scarified Series, showcased at the Imiso Gallery. Materials: stoneware clay. Dimensions: 27 x 29,5cm. Estimate: R30 000 to R50 000.
This collection is inspired by an ancient African tradition of body scarification – a practice used to recognise and protect an individual against various negative spiritual and physical manifestations.
- Views, Views from the Studio Series, showcased at the Imiso Gallery. Materials: stoneware clay. Dimensions: 27 by 21cm. Estimate: R30 000 to R50 000.
Views from the Studio is the latest statement from the Imiso Ceramic Studio. The work is both a literal and metaphoric view of Andile as he interprets the less popular view of the Cape Town city skyline, inspired by his daily view of the harbour and industrial areas.
2021 Press Releases
- 1 Dec 2021 Nigerian sculptor Samuel Nnorom wins the Stephan Welz Cassirer fine art award
- 1 Dec 2021 The Series Edition - Starting an art collection
- 7 Dec 2021 A host of art and experiences on auction to benefit South Africa’s world class museum, Norval Foundation
- 13 Dec 2021 Strauss & Co - Reflections 2021
- 4 Nov 2021 Goldblatt and Muholi lead Strauss & Co’s Johannesburg Auction Week photography session
- 4 Nov 2021 Knockout drawings by Kentridge and Victor on offer at Strauss & Co
- 4 Nov 2021 From the Professor Jan K Coetzee Collection
- 7 Nov 2021 Quality artworks at Johannesburg Auction Week, including show stopper Preller’s iconic human figure Adam and Eve
- 8 Nov 2021 The Series on Art Education - The Influence of African Art on Modernism
- 9 Nov 2021 The imperfect perfection of ceramists Hylton Nel and Nico Masemola
- 9 Nov 2021 Perfectly Imperfect: Ceramic Sculpture by Hylton Nel and Nico Masemola
- 10 Nov 2021 The Juanita Bird Collection of Linn Ware and 20th Century Ceramics
- 12 Nov 2021 Mid-twentieth century paintings triumph at Strauss & Co’s vibrant Johannesburg Auction Week
- 17 Nov 2021 Online Auction of works by Andile Dyalvane – for generations to come
- 22 Nov 2021 Strauss & Co concludes 2021 with a bumper, three-part online auction
- 24 Nov 2021 The Series Edition: Wine as an asset class
- 26 Nov 2021 Strauss & Co end year on a high note with Online-Only Auction – Part III
- 26 Nov 2021 Strauss & Co end year on a high note with Online-Only Auction – Part II
- 26 Nov 2021 Strauss & Co end year on a high note with Online-Only auction – Part I
- 5 Oct 2021 Champagne pops expected for heroic works by Preller and Stern at Strauss & Co
- 5 Oct 2021 A Tribute to Claude Bouscharain and Erik Laubscher
- 6 Oct 2021 A century of cutting-edge international design under the spotlight at Strauss & Co
- 7 Oct 2021 Strauss & Co honours a Contemporary Great Dr Esther Mahlangu in their upcoming sale
- 8 Oct 2021 The Andrew Newall Collection of Weapons and the Vyvyan Myerson Collection of Cutlery
- 8 Oct 2021 Displays of Dexterity in the Contemporary Session at Strauss & Co
- 14 Oct 2021 Record prices at Strauss & Co white glove wine sale with top producers Alheit, Sadie and Vilafonté
- 14 Oct 2021 Johannesburg Auction Week features two masterpieces of mid-century SA painting
- 15 Oct 2021 Strong demand for mid-century painting and furniture at Strauss & Co sale
- 21 Oct 2021 Strauss & Co selling three artist-designed bicycles to benefit education outcomes
- 28 Oct 2021 Vladimir Tretchikoff – The people’s painter
- 8 Sep 2021 Strauss and Co’s forthcoming Impression/Expression sale represents multi-generations of South African fine artists
- 15 Sep 2021 A bottle of fine wine sells for almost a million Rands at a specialist Strauss and Co. wine and art auction
- 16 Sep 2021 Strauss & Co breaks SA wine record with 1821 Grand Constance just shy of R1m
- 16 Sep 2021 Strauss & Co’s specialist sale affirms the status of iconic wines and historic paintings
- 16 Sep 2021 A Snowy Owl contemplates a pair of bronze Lapwings over a 2011 vintage of Kanonkop’s Paul Sauer
- 16 Sep 2021 Bidding for a better future
- 23 Sep 2021 Targets exceeded in successful art auction to secure Archbishop Tutu’s legacy project
- 23 Sep 2021 An unrivalled richness of post-war paintings tops Strauss & Co’s spring offering
- 1 Aug 2021 Welgemeend Art Month 2021
- 13 Aug 2021 Single-owner collections generate exceptional results at Strauss & co sale
- 13 Aug 2021 Strauss & Co celebrates Women’s Month with a strong drive to profile women
- 20 Aug 2021 Art for the Arch - Charity Auction
- 26 Aug 2021 Empowering collaborations underpin Strauss & Co’s strong results for its August online sale
- 30 Aug 2021 Old-world heritage and a dash of spring colour in Strauss & Co’s bespoke live sale
- 6 Jul 2021 Early works by Pierneef, Pemba and Makamo lead Strauss & Co’s bumper winter sale
- 14 Jul 2021 Exhibition Walkabout: Social Stances – George Pemba & Robert Hodgins
- 14 Jul 2021 Pierneef, painter of breath-taking vistas and opulent clouds, in Strauss & Co boutique auction
- 14 Jul 2021 Burgundy and Champagne - Virtual Live Fine Wine Auction
- 14 Jul 2021 Strauss & Co’s mid-winter sale attracts over 700 bidders and earns R7.5 million
- 15 Jul 2021 Frank Kilbourn on 702. Radio: Art as an investment
- 27 Jul 2021 Unmatched bidder enthusiasm for bespoke Pierneef sale presented by Strauss & Co
- 27 Jul 2021 A tale of two collectors:Strauss & Co pays tribute to Leon Strydom and David Hall
- 28 Jul 2021 Frank Kilbourn on 702. Radio: Art as an investment
- 3 Jun 2021 Stellenbosch Wine highlights discussed by Higgo Jacobs
- 3 Jun 2021 June 2021 Online Auction: Highlights Walkabout
- 4 Jun 2021 Exploring Botanical Art
- 25 Jun 2021 Museum Moments – Sanlam Art Collection
- 25 Jun 2021 George Pemba and Robert Hodgins: Social Stances
- 3 May 2021 A Single-Owner Private Collection of Fine Wines from Bordeaux, Burgundy, Alsace and Champagne
- 4 May 2021 Still Life with Lilies by Irma Stern (1948)
- 5 May 2021 John Muafangejo, the Namibian master of linocut, shines at Strauss & Co auction
- 5 May 2021 Artist Focus: Keith Alexander
- 5 May 2021 Auction Highlight: Robert Hodgins, The Consulting Room
- 7 May 2021 Works from forty years of international superstar William Kentridge’s career under the hammer in May
- 8 May 2021 Four collections, each a statement in connoisseurship, lead Strauss & Co’s May sale
- 8 May 2021 The wide Namibian horizons of Adolph Jentsch come into view on Strauss & Co’s May Auction
- 10 May 2021 Interview with Angus Taylor in the artist's studio
- 10 May 2021 Artist Focus: John Meyer
- 10 May 2021 Contemporary Art Highlights: May 2021 Virtual Live Auction
- 10 May 2021 The Red Roof, Cape Town by Wolf Kibel
- 10 May 2021 William Kentridge: Untitled, Drawing from Il Ritorno d'Ulisse
- 10 May 2021 David Koloane: Dogs Chasing Birds & Township Dogs (2017)
- 10 May 2021 Alexis Preller: Grand Mapogga II & Mapogga Terrace
- 17 May 2021 Auction Preview Walkabout: May 2021 Virtual Live
- 20 May 2021 New world records for Keith Alexander and Sydney Kumalo at Strauss & Co sale
- 20 May 2021 À votre santé: Strauss & Co toasts its successful sale of a single-owner collection of French wines
- 25 May 2021 Rare botanical art and new contemporary paintings among highlights of Strauss & Co’s June sale
- 27 May 2021 A story of art, gender and science unearthed in Strauss & Co’s June sale of botanical art
- 31 May 2021 June Online Wine Sale - Stellenbosch theme
- 6 Apr 2021 Auction Highlights: April Live Virtual Auction
- 7 Apr 2021 Larry Scully's Black Madonna at the Regina Mundi Cathedral, Soweto
- 15 Apr 2021 Museum-grade works by printmaker John Muafangejo from the Orde Levinson Collection to go on sale
- 15 Apr 2021 Strauss & Co’s diversified offering draws international collectors to its April sale
- 19 Apr 2021 Matriarchs of power: Strauss & Co’s May sale features outstanding portrayals of women
- 28 Apr 2021 African Lion: John Muafangejo
- 1 Mar 2021 Single-owner designer book and art collection on sale at Strauss & Co
- 15 Mar 2021 Strauss & Co’s sale of the property of a Johannesburg book designer trumps expectations
- 16 Mar 2021 KWV Collection and five-star Pierneefs lead Strauss & Co’s April marquee sale
- 16 Mar 2021 Online Auction Guest Curator: Kim Kandan, KZNSA Gallery Director
- 16 Mar 2021 Printmaking and photography under spotlight in Strauss & Co’s March sale
- 16 Mar 2021 Strauss & Co vinous auction treasures, a trio of top SA wine producers
- 16 Mar 2021 The Madonna and Child of Soweto, a symbol of hope
- 17 Mar 2021 Auction Highlights: March Online Auction
- 22 Mar 2021 March Online Auction, Guest Curator: Kim Kandan
- 23 Mar 2021 Two rare and important oils by pioneer painter Thomas Bowler enter the market
- 24 Mar 2021 Strauss & Co’s April sale includes two remarkable single-owner collections of Chinese porcelain
- 25 Mar 2021 A stillness of baobabs by J.H. Pierneef leads Strauss & Co’s April offering by South Africa’s foremost landscape painter
- 27 Mar 2021 Seminal works by Banksy and Mr Brainwash underpin Strauss & Co’s robust contemporary offering