Welgemeend Art Month 2021
1 Aug 2021
Art Month at Welgemeend 2021 celebrates the role of art in maintaining a 360-degree view of life
The annual celebration of arts and culture held every August in the historic Cape Town manor home of Welgemeend, returns in 2021 with a diverse programme of events coordinated around a special theme. This year’s Art Month at Welgemeend celebrates a special milestone: collector Frank Kilbourn, who with his wife, Lizelle, initiated this month-long art event in 2014, turns 60.
“We have tied my coming of age into an exciting programme coordinated around the theme 60/360,” explains Frank Kilbourn, a businessman and executive chairperson of Strauss & Co. “Art Month at Welgemeend 2021 will showcase works from the Kilbourn Collection, including some early pieces acquired with the assistance of art dealer Leon Strydom, who sadly passed away from COVID. Leon established the Strydom Gallery in George in 1968 and played an important role in our journey as young collectors. This is an opportunity to pay homage to Leon as well as to affirm the role of art in maintaining a 360-degree view of life.”
A joint initiative between the Friends of Welgemeend, Frank and Lizelle Kilbourn, Strauss & Co, Delaire Graff Estate and others, Art Month at Welgemeend 2021 will officially commence on Saturday, 14 August 2021. Raising funds for the upkeep and maintenance of Welgemeend forms an integral part of the August Art Month programme. Due to Covid-19 restrictions, the annual gala dinner and live auction will not be hosted. An online fundraising auction for the benefit of Welgemeend will, however, be held on the Strauss & Co platform as part of their August Online-Only auction taking place from 16 to 23 August 2021.
Art month concludes on Friday 17 September 2021. Highlights from the month-long programme include a classical piano recital by musical virtuoso Gerhard Joubert on Sunday, 12 September 2021, exhibition walkabouts conducted by Frank Kilbourn and an art lecture series organised by auction house Strauss & Co. A catalogue for the exhibition of the Kilbourn Collection will also be available.
Preceding the official start of Art Month at Welgemeend 2021, Strauss & Co will host the auction preview of the Professor Leon Strydom Collection and the Hall Collection of Linnware in the manor house. The Professor Leon Strydom Collection includes works by leading modern, post-war and contemporary artists including Robert Hodgins, Sydney Kumalo, Gerard de Leeuw, Alexis Preller, Stanley Pinker and Irma Stern. Highlights include a vivid Stern gouache in a dominant yellow palette produced in 1931 during an important three-month work trip to Madeira. The preview will run from 2 to 8 August 2021. The contents of the exhibition will be sold on a virtual-live auction in four sessions, commencing at 11am, on Tuesday 10 August 2021.
This year’s programming marks a return to limited in-person programming following the fully digital edition of Art Month at Welgemeend in 2020. The hybrid nature of Art Month at Welgemeend 2021 is ambitious and unavoidably subject to current health guidelines and state regulations.
“This year’s Art Month at Welgemeend takes place at a difficult time for South Africans, but our aim nonetheless is to offer a vibrant celebration of a special birthday and commemoration of an important friend,” says Lizelle Kilbourn, a lawyer who with her husband, Frank, began collecting art while a student at the University of Johannesburg. “The pandemic has prompted us all to be mindful of our relationships with family, friends, colleagues and the world at large. To live a happy, contented and successful life, one has to have a 360-degree outlook on the world.”
Art education has always been an integral part of Art Month at Welgemeend. This year four Strauss & Co specialists will present fascinating lectures. The programme is as follows:
- Monday, 30 August at 6pm: Strauss & Co decorative arts specialist Sophie-Louise Fröhlich will discuss the evolution of the dinner table from the 16th to the 19th century, with particular focus on the 18th century.
- Tuesday, 31 August at 6pm: Strauss & Co senior art specialist Ian Hunter will provide a glimpse into JH Pierneef’s processes of making and his mastery of most media.
- Wednesday, 1 September at 6pm: Strauss & Co wine specialist Higgo Jacobs will discuss the rewards in cellaring fine wine correctly, from an investment as well as enjoyment point of view. Lecture includes a tasting.
- Saturday, 4 September at noon: Strauss & Co senior art specialist Matthew Partridge will discuss Irma Stern’s career defining exhibition Peintures D’Afrique in 1947 at the Wildenstein Gallery in Paris.
A comprehensive calendar of events will be released in due course. Please consult the Welgemeend and Strauss & Co websites.
2021 Press Releases
- 8 Sep 2021 Strauss and Co’s forthcoming Impression/Expression sale represents multi-generations of South African fine artists
- 15 Sep 2021 A bottle of fine wine sells for almost a million Rands at a specialist Strauss and Co. wine and art auction
- 16 Sep 2021 Strauss & Co breaks SA wine record with 1821 Grand Constance just shy of R1m
- 16 Sep 2021 Strauss & Co’s specialist sale affirms the status of iconic wines and historic paintings
- 16 Sep 2021 A Snowy Owl contemplates a pair of bronze Lapwings over a 2011 vintage of Kanonkop’s Paul Sauer
- 1 Aug 2021 Welgemeend Art Month 2021
- 13 Aug 2021 Single-owner collections generate exceptional results at Strauss & co sale
- 13 Aug 2021 Strauss & Co celebrates Women’s Month with a strong drive to profile women
- 20 Aug 2021 Art for the Arch - Charity Auction
- 26 Aug 2021 Empowering collaborations underpin Strauss & Co’s strong results for its August online sale
- 30 Aug 2021 Old-world heritage and a dash of spring colour in Strauss & Co’s bespoke live sale
- 6 Jul 2021 Early works by Pierneef, Pemba and Makamo lead Strauss & Co’s bumper winter sale
- 14 Jul 2021 Exhibition Walkabout: Social Stances – George Pemba & Robert Hodgins
- 14 Jul 2021 Pierneef, painter of breath-taking vistas and opulent clouds, in Strauss & Co boutique auction
- 14 Jul 2021 Burgundy and Champagne - Virtual Live Fine Wine Auction
- 14 Jul 2021 Strauss & Co’s mid-winter sale attracts over 700 bidders and earns R7.5 million
- 15 Jul 2021 Frank Kilbourn on 702. Radio: Art as an investment
- 27 Jul 2021 Unmatched bidder enthusiasm for bespoke Pierneef sale presented by Strauss & Co
- 27 Jul 2021 A tale of two collectors:Strauss & Co pays tribute to Leon Strydom and David Hall
- 28 Jul 2021 Frank Kilbourn on 702. Radio: Art as an investment
- 3 Jun 2021 Stellenbosch Wine highlights discussed by Higgo Jacobs
- 3 Jun 2021 June 2021 Online Auction: Highlights Walkabout
- 4 Jun 2021 Exploring Botanical Art
- 25 Jun 2021 Museum Moments – Sanlam Art Collection
- 25 Jun 2021 George Pemba and Robert Hodgins: Social Stances
- 3 May 2021 A Single-Owner Private Collection of Fine Wines from Bordeaux, Burgundy, Alsace and Champagne
- 4 May 2021 Still Life with Lilies by Irma Stern (1948)
- 5 May 2021 John Muafangejo, the Namibian master of linocut, shines at Strauss & Co auction
- 5 May 2021 Artist Focus: Keith Alexander
- 5 May 2021 Auction Highlight: Robert Hodgins, The Consulting Room
- 7 May 2021 Works from forty years of international superstar William Kentridge’s career under the hammer in May
- 8 May 2021 Four collections, each a statement in connoisseurship, lead Strauss & Co’s May sale
- 8 May 2021 The wide Namibian horizons of Adolph Jentsch come into view on Strauss & Co’s May Auction
- 10 May 2021 Interview with Angus Taylor in the artist's studio
- 10 May 2021 Artist Focus: John Meyer
- 10 May 2021 Contemporary Art Highlights: May 2021 Virtual Live Auction
- 10 May 2021 The Red Roof, Cape Town by Wolf Kibel
- 10 May 2021 William Kentridge: Untitled, Drawing from Il Ritorno d'Ulisse
- 10 May 2021 David Koloane: Dogs Chasing Birds & Township Dogs (2017)
- 10 May 2021 Alexis Preller: Grand Mapogga II & Mapogga Terrace
- 17 May 2021 Auction Preview Walkabout: May 2021 Virtual Live
- 20 May 2021 New world records for Keith Alexander and Sydney Kumalo at Strauss & Co sale
- 20 May 2021 À votre santé: Strauss & Co toasts its successful sale of a single-owner collection of French wines
- 25 May 2021 Rare botanical art and new contemporary paintings among highlights of Strauss & Co’s June sale
- 27 May 2021 A story of art, gender and science unearthed in Strauss & Co’s June sale of botanical art
- 31 May 2021 June Online Wine Sale - Stellenbosch theme
- 6 Apr 2021 Auction Highlights: April Live Virtual Auction
- 7 Apr 2021 Larry Scully's Black Madonna at the Regina Mundi Cathedral, Soweto
- 15 Apr 2021 Museum-grade works by printmaker John Muafangejo from the Orde Levinson Collection to go on sale
- 15 Apr 2021 Strauss & Co’s diversified offering draws international collectors to its April sale
- 19 Apr 2021 Matriarchs of power: Strauss & Co’s May sale features outstanding portrayals of women
- 28 Apr 2021 African Lion: John Muafangejo
- 1 Mar 2021 Single-owner designer book and art collection on sale at Strauss & Co
- 15 Mar 2021 Strauss & Co’s sale of the property of a Johannesburg book designer trumps expectations
- 16 Mar 2021 KWV Collection and five-star Pierneefs lead Strauss & Co’s April marquee sale
- 16 Mar 2021 Online Auction Guest Curator: Kim Kandan, KZNSA Gallery Director
- 16 Mar 2021 Printmaking and photography under spotlight in Strauss & Co’s March sale
- 16 Mar 2021 Strauss & Co vinous auction treasures, a trio of top SA wine producers
- 16 Mar 2021 The Madonna and Child of Soweto, a symbol of hope
- 17 Mar 2021 Auction Highlights: March Online Auction
- 22 Mar 2021 March Online Auction, Guest Curator: Kim Kandan
- 23 Mar 2021 Two rare and important oils by pioneer painter Thomas Bowler enter the market
- 24 Mar 2021 Strauss & Co’s April sale includes two remarkable single-owner collections of Chinese porcelain
- 25 Mar 2021 A stillness of baobabs by J.H. Pierneef leads Strauss & Co’s April offering by South Africa’s foremost landscape painter
- 27 Mar 2021 Seminal works by Banksy and Mr Brainwash underpin Strauss & Co’s robust contemporary offering