- Oct 24. Pricey Prellers prevail
- Oct 24. Museum quality works for sale at Strauss & Co
- Oct 24. Lucas Sithole's 'Young Girl'
- Oct 24. Robert Hodgins - People Watcher with a wicked sense of humour
- Oct 24. Rock Art and its lasting influence on JH Pierneef and Walter Battiss
- Oct 09. Keerweder - A Whale of a Sale, by Patrick Chapman
- Oct 06. Art session proves no recession
- Sep 15. House Sale in Franschhoek, The Contents of Keerweder: Own a piece of history
- Jun 11. SA Art Rocks
- Apr 20. 'Stern's Arab Spring' at Strauss & Co Continues
- Jan 31. Girl in sunglasses reveals herself!
Lucas Sithole's 'Young Girl'
October 24, 2012 [ Archived ]
Lucas Sithole has proven highly collectable at recent auctions. A record result just shy of a million rand was achieved for Strauss & Companys 5 May 2011 auction in Johannesburg subsequent auctions have built on this result and pieces coming up at auctions have been eagerly snapped up by local collectors.
Young Girl was produced during what has been referred to as Sithole’s transitional period – after he completed his studies at the Vlakfontein Technical College in 1948 until his enrolment at the Polly Street Art Centre in downtown Johannesburg in 1959.
By the time of his death in 1994, Lucas Sithole had held 18 solo shows and his work had been featured in over 98 group exhibitions, including the 34th Venice Biennale in 1968 – where he was awarded the first prize for sculpture.
This seminal work as well as other important sculptures by Sithole will be offered for sale on the 12 November 2012 at Strauss & Company’s auction to be held at the Johannesburg Country Club, Woodmead.