Current Press Releases
- May 24. Private donation of iconic Chris Levin designs to boost Iziko Collection
- May 20. R1 818 880 for "Last Supper"
- May 15. Strauss & Co to sell one of the world's most reproduced paintings
- May 15. Tretchi fever heats up
- May 10. You only live twice.....
- May 10. Vladimir Tretchikoff's unique rendition of Prima Ballerina Assoluta, Alicia Markova
- Apr 29. Strauss & Co goes Vintage with South African Haute Couture Legend, Chris Levin
- Apr 24. Iconic South African artworks spanning 160 years set to go under the hammer in May
Strauss & Co's distinguished Zanzibari Arab
March 9, 2012
Following the record breaking sale last year of Irma Stern's Two Arabs, Strauss & Co previews its June sale of South African and International Art by announcing this star lot by Irma Stern from her celebrated Zanzibari series.
ⁱThe most distinguished Arab – “the truly wise and religious father” – is dressed in a pure white robe with a white turban around his white skull cap’. ¹
Purchased directly from the artist by the present owner over 70 years ago, Arab has been in the same family since and has never before appeared on the market. It was executed in 1939 during Stern’s first visit to Zanzibar and is still in its original Zanzibar frame.
¹Irma Stern, ‘Zanzibar’, van Schaik, Pretoria 1948, p12
firstname.lastname@example.org / 083 680 9944
signed and dated 1939, in the original Zanzibar frame
oil on canvas
66,5 by 64,5cm
R7 000 000 – 9000 000